Old March 27th, 2004, 08:40 AM
Sandy

Default Beginner: Tying Salmon Flys

Derek.Moody wrote:
In article m,
JonnyMac wrote:

You can add surprisingly few items, use hackles from the other end of
your softer capes, add a few scraps from around the house and make
quite a range of useful flies. I'd suggest your first purchase might
include some stronger thread, a couple of flosses, some heavier
silver ribbing and a selection of dyed deer hair.

First thing to get is a book on salmon flies and see what flies you want to
tye, then follow the above good advice. Have a look online for sites, the
one bellow, although american, is quite good.

http://www.flyanglersonline.com/flytying/atlantic/

If you use them a tube attachment for the vice would be a useful
gadget.

i use a large darning needle for tying tube flies, just remember if you do
to stick a cork over the sharp end if it protrudes from the tube, saves
accidents.

I wouldn't bother with built wings just yet.

Those were the ones I started on and I agree, they are a pain in the a**e
but very satisfying to do when they come out right.

--
Don`t Worry, Be Happy

Sandy
--