Old August 28th, 2006, 06:28 AM posted to aus.sport.fishing
Steve

Default Surf Rods & Reels

wrote in message
On Sun, 27 Aug 2006 21:31:50 +1000, "Perusal"

wrote:

Just starting out with surf fishing and wanting to know a few opinions

on
some of the Jarvis Bay surf rod and reel combos and their effectiveness.
Are they worth the $80 or so or are they something that's likely to
fail/break not too far down the track?

At that price it won't last long

What do people recommend brand wise for good surf fishing?

I'd go for an Ugly Stik/Shimano combination. Expect to pay around $300

for something decent.
\

There are a good number of custom rod builders around who will make a good
beach rod retailing for around $100. If you want something allround then get
a mid mount winch with a large eggbeater real. Ugly Stick are good but there
are rods on offer at a much lesser price that do just as good a job.
With fishing gear you get what you pay for and my experience says that if
it's a name brand and it's very cheap it usually has less runners and
cheaper hardware. Stay away from K-Mart and talk to your local tackle shops.
My mates and I all use heavy action 12-13 foot rods and we catch ALOT of
fish. Have a look at our webpage
http://groups.msn.com/TeamFeralFishi..._whatsnew.msnw