Old March 22nd, 2006, 03:31 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly

Default I'm ashamed of my country

Benjamin Turek wrote:
I spent 19 months in Iraq, with a lot of good soldiers. I am not saying
that something like this could not happen, but it remains allegations at
this point (which were raised by a news journal). I hope it would turn out
to not be as it seems, but then again I naive about such things.

If you're a soldier in Iraq and you're constantly in danger of being
shot by a sniper or blown apart by an IED, I can almost forgive you for
going into a blind killing rampage when your buddy gets killed. Almost,
but not quite.

What I can't forgive are the callous, deceitful politicians who put you
in that position, and who continue to assert that things are going
"very, very well" in spite of simple, obvious reality, and who evade
responsibility for any mistakes.

The same holds true for the disgraceful Abu Graib torture scandal.
Rumsfeld asserts that the Geneva Convention doesn't apply and personally
approves interrogation methods that amount to torture. So who gets
punished when the **** hits the fan? The low-ranking mouth breathers who
were given the dirty work.