Old March 11th, 2005, 01:09 PM
Bob La Londe

First off. Since you say you don't need luxury... A work model 2500HD
Extended cab only runs about 27K brand new. Might be able to find a dealer
with some left over 2004s even cheaper. Second... having always bought used
vehicles all my life until the last few years I can tell you that no matter
hopw careful you are a used vehicle ultimately could cost you more money
than a new one in repair bills. That being said. There is no reason a
Blazer with a V-8 or a Jeep Grand Cherokee can't tow your boat. I
occassionally tow my 20' tunnel hull with an S-10 pickup. That only has a
V-6. Its not fast, and it down shifts at the hint of a grade, but it does
the job. I haven't used it for that since i have one of those 2500HDs I
mentioned... Anyway. If you look at a good half ton Silverado instead of
the 3/4 ton I have you can probably shave a frew more dollars off or maybe
go with a 4X4 for around the same price.

Of course I question your "No Frills" when I hear Jeep Grand Cherokee. When
I say basic work truck I mean rubber floor matts, basic am/fm radio, crank
windows, and manual door locks.

--
** Public Fishing and Boating Forums
** www.YumaBassMan.com

"Jeff" wrote in message
I've read these posts quite awhile and thought with such knowledgeable
people here I'd drop a little background and ask a question.

I've been a bass fisherman for some 30 years, and have always done
well. About 20 years ago, I met my current fishing partner. We were
always in sync and won or placed in a number of tourneys.

During all these years, I've always fished that back in his rig. Well
like all good things it must come to an end. He is moving to change
jobs. This brings me to my question. I've decided to go out and
purchase a rig and tow vehicle. I've got the boat an 18' Nitro /w
150. And now the money is running short.

Since I don't fish long distances away, shoot the lake is 15 minutes
from home and the longest is 2 hours. During that travel time I can
be on about 6 or 7 different lakes with some of the best bass fishing
in KY and TN. And tourney money to go around.

My question is this, I cant afford to go out and by a nice new
extended cab pickup at this time....need the extended for the
occasional family trips. But I can pick up a older model Blazer or
Jeep Grand.

How does anyone feel about these as tow vehicles. As time and the
boat payments go away, I can pick up something else. I don't need a
luxury ride....just the tow.

Thanks for the comments and thanks for all the great posts that I've
been reading.

Jeff