Old March 11th, 2005, 09:55 PM
SimRacer

"Jeff" wrote in message
I've read these posts quite awhile and thought with such knowledgeable
people here I'd drop a little background and ask a question.

I've been a bass fisherman for some 30 years, and have always done
well. About 20 years ago, I met my current fishing partner. We were
always in sync and won or placed in a number of tourneys.

During all these years, I've always fished that back in his rig. Well
like all good things it must come to an end. He is moving to change
jobs. This brings me to my question. I've decided to go out and
purchase a rig and tow vehicle. I've got the boat an 18' Nitro /w
150. And now the money is running short.

Since I don't fish long distances away, shoot the lake is 15 minutes
from home and the longest is 2 hours. During that travel time I can
be on about 6 or 7 different lakes with some of the best bass fishing
in KY and TN. And tourney money to go around.

My question is this, I cant afford to go out and by a nice new
extended cab pickup at this time....need the extended for the
occasional family trips. But I can pick up a older model Blazer or
Jeep Grand.

How does anyone feel about these as tow vehicles. As time and the
boat payments go away, I can pick up something else. I don't need a
luxury ride....just the tow.

Thanks for the comments and thanks for all the great posts that I've
been reading.

Jeff

Just my input here, but I'd go with a V8 with a "solid" transmission and
rear-end in it. I have an 03 Chevy Trailblazer, with an inline 6, 4.2
Liters, and it pulls my 17' bass rig "ok", you have to keep the revs up to
get the boat moving and really get up on the tach to get up even a moderate
ramp. It would work if it was all I had, as it has locking rear diff (for
slick ramps, both drive tires turning is a help), and it also has a
transmission cooler on it. I'd probably not tow my boat far beyond my
state's borders with this vehicle, as you can tell it is a chore to both the
engine/transmission and suspension. The numbers on this vehicle are 270/275
(HP/Tq)

My other tow truck, is a 2000 Toyota Ext. Cab Tundra. Small, 4.7L V8, but
with the tranny (complete with tranny cooler), torque, and rear-end to tow
up to 7200 lbs with. Behind this truck, the bass boat feels like my Jet Ski,
and one barely even notices it. I'd tow my boat to California from my home
in NC with that truck today, and it has 106,000 miles on it. This truck's
numbers are 250/310 (HP/Tq)

Moral: Look for torque over HP, in a dependable heavier duty vehicle, IMO.
At the very least, I'd recommend trying to find a V8, just because its
torque/HP will make towing "easier" on it over the long haul, and would
likely require less engine/transmission work after a fair amount of tow-use,
again, IMHO. A transmission cooler may also be advisable if you live in a
hilly area, or will be covering long distances while towing with any
regularity.