Old May 9th, 2004, 05:38 PM
Bill Kiene

Default fly line setup advice

Hi Andy,

I am assuming you already have a fly rod, fly reel and the fly line.

I will be referring mostly to a standard floating line now.

This is pretty standard info for attaching fly lines and is the norm in most
California fly shops.

You need enough "backing line" to fill the reel up so the fly line comes to
about 1/4" of the edge of the spool . The amount of backing needed varies a
lot depending on the size of the reel and the size and type of the fly line.
If you state what reel (make, model and size) and which exact fly line you
will use ( type and size), we can give you an idea how much backing line you
will need.

Backing line is braided Dacron line that has very little stretch so it won't
cut into its self and expand the fragile fly reel spools. If you use high
quality braided Dacron backing line it will be a nice smaller diameter. Less
expensive braided Dacron is very large in diameter which makes it hard for
us to "needle nail knot" in to the center or core of the fly line.

Most floating fly lines have a braided nylon core that is hollow and allows
us to be able to put a needle into the middle on the rear of the line and
pull the backing inside to make a clean connection called the "needle nail
knot". We use this connection on most braided core line up to about a 9
weight line.

I think most fly shops use 20# braided Dacron backing for outfits from trout
to light salt water. From 10 weights outfits and up we use 30# braided
Dacron. On some very small reels and small lines, we use 12# backing at
times if we have a capacity problem.

We also use a needle nail knot of the front of most fresh water lines with a
level piece of mono that is about 2/3 the diameter of the front or point of
the line. For trout rods this can be around .021" or ~25# test mono. On
larger lines we use .023" and larger for a butt section diameter.

A "butt section" is a piece of level mono that is attached to the front end
of a fly line and then allows you to connect your tapered leader without
having to tie to the fly line all the time. We use a needle nail knot for
attaching the butt section on fresh water tackle most of the time.

I think it is great to learn all this stuff but if you have a good fly shop
near by, they do it all day long so it is easier for them to do this for
you.

--
Bill Kiene

Kiene's Fly Shop
Sacramento, CA, USA

Web site: www.kiene.com

"Andy" wrote in message
om...

Im in the west of Ireland and would like to do some fly fishing for
brown trout. I have looked on the net at setting up a fly rod and fly
line but have found no relevant information - mostly people trying to
sell tackle!

What I need is information on setting up the fly line itself
preferable in a step-by-step breakdown of the different sections,
lengths used and how to tie them together.

I have fished successfully with spinners but would now like to have a
go at fly fishing. Is it really so difficult to set up a fly rod?

Any info would be much appreciated.

Thanks

Andy S.