Old July 8th, 2004, 03:48 PM
dscotts

Default New England Bass Fishing ??

RichZ wrote:
I've been fishing Champlain a lot. Last weekend was the best yet. We had a
good day on Sat doing a variety of things way down south, then on Sun, we
smoked 'em fishing green pumpkin creature baits in the scattered cabbage in
9 to 12 feet of water.

Rich, when I bumped into up there at the Ti boat ramp when my buddy and
I were scoping the area out, you gave me a small handful of the creature
baits from that big bag of them you had on the boat. you gave me a
couple of the green pumpkin with red flake and pumpkin pepper, assuming
the colors. they look nice and I was meaning to ask you what brand were
these. thanks.

we did OK for the four days we were up there for a first time on water
that is infinite with places to fish and not bad if you were to use
Nikolay's gauge but only average or slightly below if using yours, the
fishing machine. one really good day just above the paper plant - allot
of pike on spinnerbaits that day was worth the trip - and a couple of
nice moments with one medium waste of a day fishing in the rain thrown
in and I think we probably fished a little too much with too little
sleep and sparse catching the last 2 days (the rain) which made for a
little grumpiness by the end of the week - so much water, so little
time. still, not bad for a couple of relative newbies to fishing for
bass and aside from hitting the Conn. river heavy at times a first
experience on any lake. hope to make it a annual occurrence, we can
understand your attraction and really for as productive as it can be,
not that crowded as again, there is so much water there even from around
Ti and down.

in the end I am coming to believe the old saying that I heard Bill Dance
say once on his show a few years back about the 90/10 rule of thumb -
90% of the fish are in 10% of the water. I have come to believe its not
that dramatic but it seems a good rule to keep in mind when approaching
water and I would say despite all your reports from the lake (greatly
appreciating) they offer some good starting off strategies but you still
have to spend precious fishing time hunting out those spots. I'll be back!