Old May 9th, 2005, 11:55 PM
Skwala

"chas" wrote in message
news:1115533373.ca48f5705dd75bbd9fed1f1d11feaf05@t eranews...
"BJ Conner" wrote:

It turns out sea lions don't tast any good, and the fur is uninteresting
as
well. The local tribes couldn't in good conscience kill the beasts
because
they knew the carcase would be wasted. We, on the other hand, aren't
burdened
with such scruples...

Chas
remove fly fish to e mail directly

I know a few tribal members on various reservations... and I don't think any
would mistake one for an environmentalist.... I know that you will find the
whole spectrum across the reservation population, but to imply that a native
American is inherently a conservationist by nature is something more in tune
with Saturday morning public service commercials than reality.

Although some great work is being done by one tribe in my area to restore
wildlife (driven mainly by the economic value derived), I know just as many
horror stories (such as shooting Bald Eagles for the fun of it and leaving
them where they drop, etc...) that offsets the good.

The reality of the situation is just much more complex than that....