Old November 3rd, 2003, 07:07 PM
Svend Tang-Petersen

Default knot strength?

I think the nail knot is only an 80% strength knot. I use loop-loop both to
backing and leader.

Went to a Bill Nash seminar on knots and got a pretty good demonstration of
how 'good' the
standard knots are. Most of them are between 80-90% and some are less.
Probably doesnt matter
too much if you use heavy gear for light fishing. But go for some of the
agressive sal****er spieces,
stripers or any big fish (or small fish on light gear) and you are quickly in
trouble. A typical sign
of a week knot is a curly leader at the point where it broke.

Tim Lysyk wrote:

Ah yes, the old "nailess" nail knot. That is how I tie my leader to
flyline. Costs nothing to do, never fails, easy to learn, never hinges
during casting, and has a certain elegance that would satsify even the the
elitest of the elitists.

Tim Lysyk
timlysyk at telus dot net

"Chas Wade" wrote in message
JR wrote:
Rodney, Inventor, wrote:

I sell the cheapest nail knot tool there is, price is now just a
buck.

Being a traditional literalist (literal traditionalist?), I use a nail,
which I'm pretty sure cost less than that.

It's easy enough to douoble the line back on itself and use the line as
the "nail". This reduces the price of the tool to zero.

Chas
remove fly fish to reply
http://home.comcast.net/~chas.wade/w...ome.html-.html

--

Svend

Svend Tang-Petersen, MSc Email: svend AT sgi.com
SGI Pager: svend_p AT pager.sgi.com
1600 Amphitheatre Pkwy Phone: (+1) 650 933 3618
Mountain View
California 94043
USA