Old September 9th, 2006, 09:31 PM posted to alt.flyfishing
[email protected]

Default Floating Fly Line

NowItsWhatever wrote:
Should floating fly line always float. I used a cheap fly rod combo this
weekend. The line floated well for a few hours. Then it started sinking
the first 20 - 30 feet or so. This was a problem because I was fishing in a
lake using a dry fly and a drop fly. I wanted to let it sit out there for
several minutes, but the fly line kept sinking. Do expensive fly lines
float better? Thanks.

In general it should but sometimes it gets cracked and the core absorbs
water. If you can cut it off or, if its a double taper turn it around,
re-tie your butt knot and use a little knot-sense to seal the end, it
might be better. You can always use floatant on it as well. Also,
sometimes, this 'intermediate sinking' affect is deadly. A slowly
sinking line in a lake can be awesome.

Your pal,

TBone