Old March 24th, 2008, 11:33 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.saltwater
David H. Lipman

Default new to fishing and I have a beginner's question...

From: "Victoria"

| I have a question for people who know about salt water fishing....
|
| I just started going fishing and enjoying it a whole lot ( I know, its
| very strange for a female to go crazy for it), but my experience so
| far has been going on a big drift fishing charter boat where once you
| catch a fish, basically the 2 deckhands on the boat come and take the
| fish off the hook and either toss it back if its no good, or take it
| in and rebait your hook for you ( I assume this is mostly for your
| safety and not so much because they want to do that for you, some
| people were rebaiting on there own when the guys were busy). My
| question is....what are the rules for determining if a fish from the
| ocean is edible or if it has to be thrown back? I live in South
| Florida so fishing for me is always something to do....I want to do it
| on my own though without be supervised by a charter deckhand.
|
| Any advice for this beginner?
|
| By the way....this groups posts have been fabulous for people who dont
| have too much experience to read.

Victoria:

It is not "...strange for a female to go crazy for it" [ fishing ]. I taught my neighbour
Wendy how to surf fish and she loves it. She hits the beach as often as she can and she
catches some great Striped Bass here on the Jersey shore.

As for your experiences aboard a boat...
Learn as much as you can about what fish are available and what are considered trash fish
vs. what are considered gamefish as well as the edible kinds. Ask the deckhands to show you
how to bait the hook and then take over and say "I'll do it". Ask for help when you need it
and tell them you can do it whenever you think you can. You can only earn their respect.

Tight lines!