Old August 29th, 2005, 01:49 AM
Ken Fortenberry

Random:

One of the women who works with my wife grew up in
New Orleans and her mom and two brothers are still
there. Mom is in her 80's and in a nursing home, when
the brothers left town yesterday morning they asked
the nursing home if they should take mom along. No,
they were told, we have all her meds here and we can
handle a Category 3 just fine.

Overheard a woman on her cell in the hotel restaurant
explaining that part of the family was in Memphis,
part on the way to Kentucky and she and her kids
were staying in Birmingham.

At the dinner table next to mine, the wise little girl,
in the way three-year-olds are wise, squealed knowingly
as the adults lied to her about her missing cat.

Nothing like a natural disaster in the making to put
things in perspective. Today I feel a lot luckier than
I did yesterday.

--
Ken Fortenberry