Old July 1st, 2010, 11:25 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
jeff

Default Montahoming today

On 7/1/2010 12:34 PM, Larry L wrote:
So, I'm sitting, and waiting, in the Dodge dealer in Rexburg since my
check engine light went on and they have to replace some computer
dealie. Figured I might as well post to ROFF given both the time
and boredom level needed.

The Ranch is very crowded so I'm mostly avoiding it. Many, ( most)
waters in Montahoming are still too high so many regulars for opener
that would have moved to the Missouri or Madison are still around.
For some reason the HFork is the opposite and they are letting out
less water than I have ever seen this time of year. Combination of
many humans waving sticks and low, low, water making fish spooky but
heard of a 26.5 incher caught yesterday although all I managed was
hooking two and losing two. ( no where near that big ). The roads
ALL seem to have constant construction zones and pilot cars and long
waits, so I'm waiting till next week to start getting serious about
the Ranch after I move closer and ( hopefully) early season, big bug
mania dies down.

I've been floating around Hebgen stripping little nymphs two-three
feet deep and catching a lot of 18 - 21" fish. We're camped right
there where I can leave the Watermaster ready and launch at the back
door. Been averaging about 3-4 fish an hour and ALL of them are 18"
or better ! Stripping little nymphs on an intermediate line ain't
too boring with that success rate. I used to do mainly lake fishing
in Ca and it's kinda fun ( for a few days ) to revisit.

Jeff, I don't have a clue how the Madison is looking/doing, something
I'm sure you're wondering about. IN the park it normal for now, last
I heard it was high and muddy below Quake .... BUT, I do NOT really
know.

Cool, part in, almost ready to leave the dealer ... see Ya

thanks for the note larry...i'll be happy just to be out west again,
high water or low. the gibbon and nez perce are usually worth a look in
high water years, and i know a few other lesser fished spots i can
meander about. warren is supposed to be around for several days and
he's promised a float on the yellowstone above gardiner, which i've
never fished. there are reports of some big bug hatches down near
ennis...and it sounds like we'll either hit it just right or miss it by
a few days. danl and i hope to fish 3 day crick again...we had one
incredible year there, and one when the water was too high and fast.

the shops in their PR web notes sure aren't acting like the water is a
problem. G good to hear from you and get a reliable report...trust the
truck thingamajig is ok and all is well back on the water.

jeff

jeff