Old November 9th, 2008, 11:08 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.bass
BassMr

Default private lake fishing

Henry I got into some nice size crappie once on rattletraps as well from a
private pond (70 acres) in S. Georgia.
These were also the biggest crappie I had ever seen, we had two over 2.25 #.
The size and numbers were great but I was more surprised than anything.

"Henry Hefner" wrote in message
I went to a private 15 acre lake with a few friends Friday night and
Saturday. This lake is known for large bass and some nice crappie. I know
of one bass over 13# that came from there. We wanted some crappie to
fillet, so we set up a light at night and tried several crappie lures with
no luck, so we got off the lake until morning. Most of us decided to target
bass the next morning, so sunup found us throwing topwaters, still no luck.
One guy pulls out a swim bait and lands a nice crappie. Two of us start
throwing rattling crankbaits and the crappie start getting bigger. I switch
to a spinnerbait and land another crappie. Another buddy goes to a spoon
and gets a crappie. When we go to Texas-rigged 7-1/2" ribbon tail worms, we
catch a few bass. Total, 9 crappie (all over 12") and 5 bass (1-1/2 to
2-1/2 lbs) I would not have expected to catch more than one crappie on a
rattletrap, and never dreamed the crappie would outnumber the bass using
bass lures. The only bait we used Saturday that didn't catch crappie was
the worm.