Old September 7th, 2009, 11:57 AM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
[email protected]

Default Snit

On Mon, 7 Sep 2009 09:24:27 +0100, Bill Grey wrote:

In message , Ken Fortenberry
writes
Snit = 3ozs of beer.

Yeah, I know what a snit is, I just had one this morning
and I get one every time I order a Bloody Mary in Minnesota.

.

What I want to know is, how did a little glass of beer come
to be known as a snit ? I mean the definition you posted,
which is obviously correct, is not in any of my dictionaries
of American English. And my OED is at home.

"Origin unknown" is all I can find.

Well, whadaya expect someone to be in when you give 'em a teeny, wee little
beer...

HTH,
....OTOH, it might be related to the German word Schnitzel/Schnitz - a piece, a
slice...I suspect the use of "snit" with the word fit came about because of not
being able to say "****" - you can/could say/print "snit-fit" but not "****-fit"
and then it just got shortened to "snit" as in "Bob was in a snit when he
ordered a beer and got a shotglassful..." - and is not related to the beer
usage, but ???

OTOOH, it could just be a result of some long lost bartender playing "Let's ****
with the tourist..."