Old September 7th, 2009, 04:19 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
Ken Fortenberry

Default Snit

wrote:
Ken Fortenberry wrote:
Bill Grey wrote:
Ken Fortenberry writes:
When you order a Bloody Mary on a Sunday morning in Minnesota
it comes with a snit.
Snit = 3ozs of beer.

Yeah, I know what a snit is, I just had one this morning
and I get one every time I order a Bloody Mary in Minnesota.

What I want to know is, how did a little glass of beer come
to be known as a snit ? I mean the definition you posted,
which is obviously correct, is not in any of my dictionaries
of American English. And my OED is at home.

Is it something they only do with Bloody Marys -

So far as I know. The Bloody Mary and the mimosa are about
the only mixed drinks I ever order for breakfast and I've
never had a mimosa served with a snit. They don't put the
beer *in* the Bloody Mary btw, it's served as a chaser.

if so, that sounds like some
weird version of a preparada/Michelada, the "Mexican" (really, much of the
Hispanic New World) beer and tomato juice drink, ala that ****-in-a-can from
Bud, "Chelada" (Bud and Clamato). There is a Mexican, Costa Rican, etc. drink
that's like a Bloody Mary, but with beer and tequila or beer and cacique/guaro -
is there any chance of this being an influence?

I would guess that any influences would be Nordic or Scandinavian
rather than Mexican.

--
Ken Fortenberry