Old July 8th, 2011, 07:02 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
D. LaCourse

Default Possible clave?

I spent part of the 4th weekend at Lakewood and the Rapid River. This
is the 3rd year in a row I have been in camp over the July 4th holiday.
I am now convinced that fishing is usually good during early July. In
the past, I have always limited my fishing to May and the first three
weeks in June. However, this latest Juy trip was as good if not better
than some of my June trips.

To begin with, the alderfly (zebra caddis) hatch was in full bloom with
the insects all over the bushes and some falling into the water. A
dark cdc caddis, size 14 and 16, matched the hatch perfectly and was
responsible for a couple of 20 fish mornings, including big (15
inches) brookies and several 18+ inch salmon. On Tuesday I didn't even
bother to nymph because the caddis dry was working so well.

Tuesday evening after dinner, Whit (the owner of Lakewood) and I went
to Pond in the River and used a guide's drift boat and fished Second
Current for about an hour. About 8 pm the fish started to come up and
each cast brought a rise (if not a hook-up). Lots of small fish at
first, but then bigger brookies and salmon got into the action. We
took several nice fish and were having a good time until I (probably)
killed a fish by mistake; I couldn't see to take the hook out and by
the time I finally cut the leader, the fish (a nice salmon) couldn't be
revived. I let him go thinking he was ok, but he went belly up and
disappeared. Having that happen to a salmon is bad enough, but to
accidently kill a brookie would be far worse. It was then that I
remembered my head-lamp in my vest. It would have helped. The
mosquitoes were unbearable, however, so we decided to our retreat would
be best for the fish and us.

I just got off the phone with a friend who stayed in camp until today.
He said the fishing remained very good after I left on Wednesday.

So, I propose this: A clave at Lakewood next year from July 1 through
the 7th. Clavers are encouraged to bring their wives or SOs. If you
fly in to Portland, ME, I will see to it that you are transported to
Lakewood. There will be a pick-up truck available for shuttling sports
down-stream to The Currents and Lower Dam, and boats available if
needed. Good food, good fishing, good quarters, and good friends.
What more is needed? (Uh, fireworks on the 4th - Whit puts on a pretty
good show with a bonfire on the beach.)

Dave