Old March 28th, 2008, 10:28 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
Ken Fortenberry[_2_]

Default Bayou Redfish

wrote:
Ken Fortenberry wrote:
Well, against rdean's advice, but thanks anyway r, I've hired
a guide to take me and my wife kayaking in the bayou. I'm gonna
fish for redfish and she is along for the paddle. This is a
guided fishing trip, not just sightseeing, so I assume the guide
will put me in the vicinity of fish.

My question to roff, how does one go about catching a redfish
on a fly rod in a Louisiana bayou on April 30th ? The guide
recommends a 9wt., but floating, sink tip, full sink ? How
about flies ? I know absolutely nothing about fly fishing for
redfish. How about that, a virgin experience at my age. ;-)
I'm looking forward to it.

Big (3/0 - 5/0) Clousers, Assassins/Mickey Finns, Lefty's Deceivers,
etc. on a floater if you are going to _flyfish_ - IOW, you aren't
interested in using a fly rod as quasi-casting rod. And I didn't advice
against the fishing, only wasting money on a guide. And putting someone
on fish this time of the year, assuming the weather is cooperating _at
all_, is little more than saying, "Yo, boy, y'all see that there
water..."

Yeah, that's what I meant to say, you advised against the guide.
It's good to hear Jazz Fest is also a good time to fish, it'll
be nice to get out of the city for a little bit.

When you know what your schedule is gonna look like let me know,
I'd still be up for either the Gulf deep sea thing or the bluegill
thing or both. The only constraint on my vacation time is Jazz Fest.

--
Ken Fortenberry