Old January 25th, 2016, 11:13 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
daytripper

Default Ch,ch,ch, changes

On Sun, 24 Jan 2016 21:26:01 -0800 (PST), giles wrote:

On Sunday, January 24, 2016 at 9:29:36 PM UTC-6, daytripper wrote:
On Sat, 23 Jan 2016 08:16:14 -0800 (PST), giles wrote:
[...]Me and a couple of other guys are currently in the early planning stage of a project to convert a couple hundred pounds of Lake Michigan beach sand into steel using a fifty-five gallon drum, a bunch of refractory clay, and a few pounds of thermite.

What a hoot!

g.

Wait - you can make steel out of beach sand now?
That just sounds wrong, but then again, I know nothing about Lake Michigan
"beach sand".

Carry on...

/daytripper (who doesn't quite know what to make of all this activity
here...

Well, you can't exactly make steel out of sand. But this particular stretch of beach sand is distinctly rust colored. Rust color strongly suggests rust, which in turn.....well, you get it.

At the end of the day, what matters is that we get to play with thermite. Could anyone who passed on the opportunity possibly be considered sane? Would Franklin have passed? The Curies?

g.
who thinks not

lol! Ok, I get it. I've watched railroad crews use thermite to weld rails and
it was exciting enough that I can see the attraction.

Have fun with that!

/daytripper (but leave the adult beverages at home