Old November 22nd, 2003, 06:42 PM
Bill Kiene

Default Is there any advantage in a spey rod?

Hello Sierra fisher,

You explained it very well. Better than I could have.

I am not into Spey casting yet myself but it seems to be get a little more
popular every year. Fly fishing is a very small part of all fishing and Spey
casting is even a smaller part of fly fishing. Most fly fishers will never
need or want to Spey cast with a two handed rod.

It seems like the candidates for Spey casting are the classic steelhead fly
fishers that actually swings their flies the old way. Spey casting seems to
be harder at first so many are taking lessons to get started right.

A new group of two handed fly rodders might be the surf casters?

Graphite materials have given this sport a new life too.

I think that most should not form an opinion about Spey casting without
really understanding what it is all about.

We have been exposed to Spey/two handed casting because we have had Simon
Gawseworth, famous Spey caster and instructor, of Rio Line Company come for
a week to teach Spey casting at our fly shop in Sacramento for 4 years now.
Also, local Spey casting instructor Jeff Putnam has his office in the rear
of my shop for his fly fishing schools and travel business. Also, a half
dozen or more fly fishers in town including several of my staff are avid
Spey casters. They will be down on the American river right here in town in
a group working on their craft. It reminds me somewhat of martial arts
because it seems to be a life style for some and a brotherhood too? Having
the lower American River 15 minutes from our shop might be adding some
energy to this new, old sport of Spey casting.

--
Bill Kiene

Kiene's Fly Shop
Sacramento, CA
www.kiene.com

"Sierra fisher" wrote in message

I am a bit confused by your question.
Spey casting was developed by the Scots for casting in the River Spey

where
you could not wade out very far, and the banks were covered with trees.

In
other words, there was no room for a backcast.
The movements that you do to make a spey cast can be done with a single
handed rod or a double handed rod. If you want to cast a long distance,

you
are better off with a double handed rod With a single handed rod, I can
spey cast abot 60'. With double handed rod, I can cast 120'.
To answer your question, double handed rods are better if you need to cast

long distance where there is little room for a backcast

"Lazarus Cooke" wrote in message
om...
I've always spey cast, some of the time. This whole business of special
rods for spey casting is quite recent. Are they really any better for
spey casting, or is just a gimmick?

Lazarus

--
Remover the rock from the email address