Old February 28th, 2006, 04:09 AM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing,misc.rural,misc.consumers

Default Fish Down Stream 3M Ssite On Mississippi River Unsafe

bearclaw wrote:

Lawrence Glickman wrote:

I would know, as I did the experiment.
I took tap water from lake Michigan and filled a tall clear bottle
with it. I then put it in a place where it wouldn't be disturbed for
72 hours. After that time, I took the bottle and looked at the
bottom, where a thick brown sediment had settled. My best guess is
that is human fecal material at the bottom of the bottle.

I'm guessing iron. I'd bet money against visible organic matter if the
water actually came out of a municipally-supplied tap.

Without proper collection, storage and testing (all of which are a
genuine pain in the keister), an experiment such as yours tells you one
thing: "there's a brown precipitate in the water."

Our tap water comes from a private well. On occasion, it is brown or
blood-**** colored. At first, I too thought it might be some kind of
fertilizer. We live in a rural area, after all. So, I went online and
found out how to collect tap water for testing.

Collected it, stored it and took it to a commercial testing facility
where (after paying $50 per sample) we found out our worries were
unwarranted. It was just a heavy concentration of iron, common in the
midwest.

just keep telling yourself that. stay happy.