Old March 28th, 2008, 03:51 AM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.saltwater,uk.rec.fishing.sea,rec.scuba,alt.fishing
MoiMoi[_2_]

Default What was this fish? Gulf of mexico, buttom of an oil rig, very VERY big.

In article 3d304620-4fd4-4213-9d42-
, says...

Unfortunately I cant quite remember the exact weight either, but all I
can tell you was that it was well over 1000 lbs.

But can anyone help me with what species it might have been?
A "cat-fish" or a "grouper" ??

Behavior and rough description would suggest warsaw grouper, the largest
grouper, I believe. Grouper are stupid slow fish, will keep eating even
with fresh hooks in mouth or gullet. And yes, grouper is fine tablefare.

But largest ever caught, at least on hook/line is 436 lbs near as I can
find. It indeed was caught in the gulf.

MM