Old July 27th, 2005, 03:46 PM
Bob La Londe

"RichZ" wrote in message
Steve @ OutdoorFrontiers wrote:

I'm sure that RichZ will argue that point with you.

Nope. I've given up arguing that point. If people want to spend money and
effort on it, it's no skin off my back, and I'm not wasting any more of my
time thinking about it. Except my one time reply to RichP in the next
message in this thread.G

Well, I am not convinced that it makes any difference in how many hits you
get. I am pretty convinced it makes huge differences in how long a fish
holds a bait.

I noticed it when I first started using salt impregnated plastics. I used
to fish almost exclusively u-tail and ribbon tail style worms. One day I
got ahold of some Zoom U-tails and I started dropping them into shadows,
eddies, and back washes in the canals. Its pretty hard to fish those
conditions with the current on a tight line and get the bait to drop where
you want it. So I started deadsticking it and pulling the line tight every
couple seconds to see if it was moving oddly. I gut hooked an amazing
number of fish. Heck I caught an amazing number of fish period. For a long
time that was my goto bait. I did have some of my older plastics, but they
just didn't seem to produce as many fish. I'm sure there were a lot of
other factors, but I am convinced it was (taste) not scent that made the
difference.

This spring I started using mega strike after having a ton of fish hit and
spit (post spawn) too fast for me to react. Almost instantly I noticed that
fish were picking up my bait and holding it. I was thriled. Of course it
could have been just a subtle shift from one day to the next in fish
attitude so I still was not totally convinced. One day fishing a tournament
with Hammer I was getting bit and putting fish in hte boat, and Hammer kept
missing fish. We were fishing to radically different baits, but in a
similar manner. I was pitching a wacky stick worm, and hammer was pitching
a t-rigged baby size beaver tail. It was so bad I was throwing to his
missed fish and picking them up. I was lettign them take the bat too, not
just nailing them the moment they hit. Finally Hammer smeared some
megastrike on his bait and he started having them hold onto his bait. For
one fish he just stood there and watched it swim away before he set the
hook.

Now I have no idea whether scent ameks any difference or not, and my
experience doesn't seem to indicate that you get any more hits from using
it, but I am certain that taste makes a huge difference in how long a fish
holds a bait. I know my story is purely anecdotal, but its good enough for
me.

--
Bob La Londe
http://www.YumaBassMan.com