Old December 26th, 2003, 08:54 PM
Larry L

Default In today's Times

I like Lasher's Raccoon ( or variations) for midges. I also use ones very
similar to the BWO in the picture but I find it difficult to get and
maintain the right "half in, half out" float in smaller sizes.

One of my gifts was "Midge Magic" by Don Holbrook and Ed Koch and I've
already read it cover to cover. This has greatly increased my interest in
Penns, as the Cumberland Valley seems to be the only area the authors fish.
The book speaks of dozens and dozens of extremely slight color variations on
a basic "thread midge pupa" and continues on to talk with apparent
seriousness about size 32 hooks and 12X tippet !!!

Now I don't think any of that is of much interest, relative to my fishing,
but I DO find it a fascinating example of how human over population can
lead, indirectly, to madness G .... the streams are hammered constantly,
the fish get ultra wary, the fishermen go bonkers :-)