Old December 26th, 2003, 09:30 PM
Tom Littleton

Default In today's Times

Larry notes of"Midge Magic"
The book speaks of dozens and dozens of extremely slight color variations on
a basic "thread midge pupa" and continues on to talk with apparent
seriousness about size 32 hooks and 12X tippet !!!

.....and is, as noted, a prime example of seeming rational types going
completely mad. Few books in the last decade ticked me off more than that one(I
own it as well, so don't be shocked if you get it as a raffle prize,
Penns-goers). Never have I seen an example of horse**** excess for no real
fishing gain in my life. No one can tell me the effectiveness of angling is
much improved by carrying or tying 80 different size 22-32 thread midge color
variations.
Basically, under it all, is a shill for certain brands of threads, flosses and
such which I will not name, and an excuse to buy lots of different shades. As
for the tippet advice, I will defer to George Harvey, who once stated that no
one needs to use anything finer than 6x, anytime, if their presentation and
leader design are correct. Most of the time, he claimed 5x would suffice, as
well as lead to quick playing and landing of trout, which is in the health
interest of the trout itself.
come to Penns,Larry,
and you will forget
about midges, at least