Old March 16th, 2004, 05:44 PM
Bill Kiene

Default Fenwick fenglass rod any good?

Hi Steve,

I use to sell all the old Fenwick fiberglass and graphite fly rods back in
the '60s and '70s when they where a big deal. After they sold to the
Berkeley company they kind of died.

I would have to cast that Fenglass rod to see how it is. I see they are
still trying to sell that 30 year old technology in the sporting goods
stores. None of the fly shops carry Fenwick because it is old stuff.

I do like fiberglass and split cane rods in shorter lengths (8' and shorter)
and lighter line sizes (#5 and lighter).

--
Bill Kiene

Kiene's Fly Shop
Sacramento, CA, USA

Web site: www.kiene.com

"steve sullivan" wrote in message
In article ,
"Bill Kiene" wrote:

Gladding,

The old Fenwick "HMG" was the first graphite fly rod series built so it

has
that older action where the tip is a larger diameter and the rod bends

in
the middle more. If someone gives you an HMG or it is $25 then thast is
different. I would then give it a try.

Rods like the new Springbrook "Temple Fork Outfitters" or TFO fly rods

are
very affordable ($89USD- 2pc) and have the newer progressive tip down

flex
that will work better.

Hey Bill, what do you think of the fenglass rods, specifically the ff
856?