Old February 21st, 2005, 04:07 PM
Frank Reid

My wife used to spin wool. Got all the tools.
One of the things to look out for in carding brushes (actually, they're
called combs) is the right type. You'll normally find two different
type, one for cotton and one for wool. Wool combs would be the best
type. They have a shorter brush length for the longer staples of the wool.
Dog brushes can be used, but if you'r going to do more than one or two
batches, I would suggest getting the wool carding combs.
A coffee grinder is of limited utility for anything with a staple (fibre
length) over 3/4". Rabbit and the like will work fine in the coffee
grinder. Angora or wool will not.
One of my favorite mixes is angora goat (mohair) plus about 10% angelina
fibre. Mixed with the carding combs, I can get some awesome golden
stonefly dubbing.
All of these can be bought on ebay.

--
Frank Reid