Old May 14th, 2004, 02:45 AM
go-bassn

Default Nothin Small About My Smallie

Went prefishin today as Thundercat's coming down Sunday for some bed-fishing
lessons. I was scanning a shoreline when I saw a huge bed in about 8 feet
of water. It was clearly a smallmouth bed as the LM beds in this lake look
entirely different & are generally shallower. There was an ominous dark
shape on the bed, but at first I thought it too big to be a bass. A carp
maybe?

I flipped my 3" Zoom Tube on the bed & was thrilled to see the fish rush it
immediately. No carp baby! I felt a solid thump on my line & set the hook,
nothing. I reeled in & fixed the tube, dipped in in Smelly Jelly & pitched
it back to the center of the bed. This time I just held my rod still with a
semi-tight line & it slowly moved off to the right. I set hard & the big
gal launched about a foot out of the water. She was huge, easily the
biggest smallie I've ever hooked.

After a breif battle I landed her. Sadly I had no scales but she may have
gone 7 pounds, 6 at least. Made my day, ok my week. What a gorgeous fish.
Hopefully she'll still be there when Harry comes down Sunday.

Warren 8-)
--
http://www.warrenwolk.com/
http://www.tri-statebassmasters.com