Old April 5th, 2004, 09:38 PM
Charles Summers

Default Why is Fishing a Dying Sport

Well said Warren... and yes, license sales ARE down! (More water for us? I
still doubt that.)

California sales in 95 were 1,433,634 compared to last year of 1,179,660.
Pennsylvania sales were 944,004 in 95 compared to 862,057 in 1998.

I've sent an e-mail to the Tennessee Wildlife Agency for Tennessee's figures
for the past ten years, and I'll post that when I get it.

Forget the cocky attitudes... that about ruined tournament fishing for me
after the first year. That's what I love about the ROFB events. Haven't
witnessed any of that at any of our meetings!

"go-bassn" wrote in message
First, fishing is not a dying sport. License sales may be down, but

overall
fishing-related revenues have never been higher.

Second, look at local clubs & local hotshots the same way you look at the
local bowling league, the local tavern pool league, the local dart league,
etc... Sure, there are always arrogant, cocky individuals that do well on
that level, and that's fine. That's what it's all about. But the local
softball team isn't about to give the Yankees (of NY) a run for their

money.

I've had the good fortune of spending time in and among the pros of bass
fishing, and rest-assured that while most are extremely confident in their
abilities, 99% are oh-so-humble off the water. Daqmn friendly in fact.
Arrogance is non-existent for the most part.

So, we've got a bunch of arrogant, cocky, belittling anglers, bowlers,

pool
players, dart throwers, etc. in town, hugh? Does that mean we sit at home

&
take up crochet?

Hell no! We go on out there & kick those S.O.B.'s butts.

I joined my first bass club & started fishing tournaments at the ripe old
age of 13 (or so). I remember clearly the elements you speak of. It was
especially impactful on me, being a mere child. The toughest part was
having to deal with having the arrogant jerks kick my butt for a few

years.

But it was all part of the learning process & I know for sure that I'm a
much better angler today because of it. You can fish competitively or you
can just fish. If you just fish that's great, and you'll never have to

deal
with the egos/mind games associated with tourney fishing.

Not every successful tournament angler flaps his (or her, as the case may
be) mouth. The really good ones let the big, stinky pile of fish in their
weigh-in bags speak for them.

Warren
--
http://www.warrenwolk.com