Old April 5th, 2004, 10:43 PM
Steve @ OutdoorFrontiers

Default Why is Fishing a Dying Sport

"Bob La Londe" wrote in message
s.com...

http://www.yumabassman.com/cgi-bin/y... 47;start=0#0

http://tinyurl.com/ywupp

Unfortunately, fishing as it stands right now is a dying sport. Unless more
people take the bull by the horns and do something about it, that trend is
going to continue.

Part of the problem (as I see it) is that the majority of the people
participating in fishing are males in the 35 to 55 year old age bracket (my
generation). As a whole, we are dying off, or getting too involved in our
jobs, or wrapped up in something other than fishing. So, as a segment of
the fishing population, we are losing numbers every year.

The next largest age group is the one that is comprised of our parents, the
55 and older generation, the ones that loved to fish and taught us to do the
same. We're losing people from this generation on an increasingly faster
rate. Their health is failing, so they can't get out, their income is fixed
and if it becomes a choice of going on a fishing trip or buying the next
week's supply of medication, guess which gets dropped? And, this generation
is just plain dying, reducing our ranks.

The following generation, that of our children, have to be the ones to fill
the dwindling levels. And I don't see that happening without direct
intervention. The 16 to 35 year old age bracket, as a whole is part of what
I call the "ME Generation". These are the ones that want everything NOW,
without a learning curve. They want instant gratification and don't see
fishing as exciting as we do. This generation is more into partying,
computer games, video and spending money on glitz and glamour. They're
about the bottom line and what's in it for me? They want it all and they
don't want to work for it. Spend time in a boat??? Casting a lure
repeatedly??? Maybe catching a two pound fish once in a while??? I don't
think so! I can fire up Trophy Bass ver. XXIIC and catch 15 pound bass from
the comfort of my desk chair.

This is the generation that, more than ever, grew up as children of divorced
parents. Most of them didn't have a father figure that would take them out
fishing on the weekends. A good percentage of this generation doesn't know
how to fish, period!

These are the same people that I see in my boat, brought there by their
father or mother, and are slightly sullen about the whole thing. They don't
know the first thing about the sport, and it's quite fun for me to watch
their eyes open, and their attitude change as the day progresses. What they
originally did to "humor the old man", now becomes something real,
interesting and challenging, it becomes fun!

We need to get this group, and the ones coming up behind them out on the
water. We need to get them to know how much fun fishing really is. We need
to get them off their ever widening behinds and out in the fresh air and
open their minds, eyes and hearts to the outdoors. We can't do this by
hoarding our knowledge, our favorite fishing spots and being secretive.
Invite the neighbor kid along, a nephew, a niece, your wife, your kids.
Take them along and make the day fun, let them know that fishing can be an
enjoyable sport, let them see that there's more to it than sitting quietly
in a boat staring at a bobber.

Tournament fishing is great, it exposes a large group of people to fishing.
But, WE need to get more women and young people exposed to and involved in
the outdoor world. Unless WE take the responsibility to teach the next
generation that there is more to the world than a computer/tv screen,
numbers are going to continue to go down.

That's my take on it anyway.
--
Steve @ OutdoorFrontiers
http://www.outdoorfrontiers.com