Old March 28th, 2008, 05:42 AM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.saltwater,uk.rec.fishing.sea,rec.scuba,alt.fishing
daytripper

Default What was this fish? Gulf of mexico, buttom of an oil rig, very VERY big.

On Thu, 27 Mar 2008 17:32:14 -0700 (PDT), ship wrote:
Hi

I was telling a (true) story the other day about this MONSTER of a
fish we caught in The Gulf of Mexico from an oil rig. And the problem is I cant
remember what species of fish it was - can any of you guys help?

[...]

The name of the fish species too was something very pedestrian
sounding...

Unfortunately I cant quite remember the exact weight either, but all I
can tell you was that it was well over 1000 lbs.

But can anyone help me with what species it might have been?
A "cat-fish" or a "grouper" ??

How about a "Goliath Grouper" (formerly known as a "Jewfish")?

They can get up to 800 pounds, apparently, but other than that ;-) there's
nothing all that distinguished about their appearance...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Goliath_grouper