Old March 28th, 2008, 01:02 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.saltwater,uk.rec.fishing.sea,rec.scuba,alt.fishing
Ray Adams

Default What was this fish? Gulf of mexico, buttom of an oil rig, very VERY big.

Sounds like Jew fish to me. Grouper dont get that big.

"daytripper" wrote in message
On Thu, 27 Mar 2008 17:32:14 -0700 (PDT), ship wrote:
Hi

I was telling a (true) story the other day about this MONSTER of a
fish we caught in The Gulf of Mexico from an oil rig. And the problem is I
cant
remember what species of fish it was - can any of you guys help?

[...]

The name of the fish species too was something very pedestrian
sounding...

Unfortunately I cant quite remember the exact weight either, but all I
can tell you was that it was well over 1000 lbs.

But can anyone help me with what species it might have been?
A "cat-fish" or a "grouper" ??

How about a "Goliath Grouper" (formerly known as a "Jewfish")?

They can get up to 800 pounds, apparently, but other than that ;-) there's
nothing all that distinguished about their appearance...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Goliath_grouper