Old September 16th, 2008, 04:43 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly,uk.rec.fishing.game
Derek Moody

Default Fly Fishing Rods

In article valid,
Lazarus Cooke wrote:
In article , Derek Moody
wrote:

Just spent a couple of weeks in Ireland, far -too much- water though. There
were a couple of Shannon tribs we could have fished but even finding the
river under all that floodwater would have been a feat.

Hi Derek whereabouts were you? I've been thinking it would have been a
great season on the Irish rivers I usually fish on the Foyle system -
it's rare for Irish rivers to have more water than they can handel.

We were touring, looking for any sort of fishing. On the RTE news there were
bridges washed out on some of the E coast rivers, Ireland had a -lot- of
rain. Caught a few mullet and bass of the shore and some small coarse fish
but the trip, generally, was below par.

I did have one sea-trout follow a lure on a rocky foreshore at the start
of the trip - looking for bass that day.

I'm sure those with local knowledge could have taken a few salmon/sea trout
but the sheer weight of water meant that detailed local knowledge was
essential and, significantly, no locals were out.

Cheerio,

--
Fishing: http://www.fishing.casterbridge.net/
Writing: http://www.author.casterbridge.net/derek-moody/