Old August 22nd, 2009, 03:24 PM posted to uk.rec.fishing.game
Derek Moody

Default Between the two Big Faeries

In article , Bill Grey
wrote:

I take issue with your taking photos of the caught fish even though you
returned them. There are differing schools of thought regarding the
release of brown trout. I feel they should, if possible, never leave
the water if they are to be released.

Ideally, maybe, but brownies are tougher than most fish. I've caught
identifiable fish several times over several months at least, without signs
of deterioration, and a couple of times I've taken one twice on the same
day.

In coarse fishing on ponds some fish are caught many times over with little
detectable injury.

Otoh some fish -are- very susceptible to handling damage - apparently
mackerel almost never survive being touched which is why the specimens in
sealife aquariums always look so poorly.

At a guess, the looser the scales and the softer the slime the more likely a
fish is to suffer physical damage. Brownies are usually well jacketed
whilst seatrout of the same size are decidedly fragile.

And grayling, if handled correctly, are nowhere near as likely to die as
everyone claims.

I have been told by someone very knowledgeable on the matter, that trout
suffer for being out of the water for more than - say- 15 seconds!

Anyway, thanks for letting us share your pohotographs.

Aol.

Cheerio,

--
Fishing: http://www.fishing.casterbridge.net/