Old August 23rd, 2009, 04:23 PM posted to uk.rec.fishing.game
Bill Grey

Default Between the two Big Faeries

In message , Sandy
Birrell writes

The majority of fish never come out of the water Bill. I pull them into
a shallow spot where I can picture them then I grab the hook and
release them, I fish barbless. If I do lift them out they are only
pictured then released in as short a time as I can manage. There have
only been a few times that I have had to hold fish in the water to
recover before letting them swim away. Anytime I have a problem getting
a picture and it is taking too long I forget it and just release the fish.

Glad to hear it Sandy, though the two photos in your gallery do show the
fish out of the water even if the tails are still in. It's obvious
you've tried to do the decent thing:-)

Most fish can survive a time out of water and be returned successfully
as long as their gills are kept damp and their skin isn't allowed to
dry out. How else are hatcheries able to strip fish year after year if
they die every time

I won't argue the point, as I said, I was given my information by a well
informed person and I respect his opinion.
--
Bill Grey