Old February 16th, 2004, 12:06 PM
Dale Coleman

Default Skip casting under docks

On Sun, 15 Feb 2004 11:05:14 -0500, "Steve & Chris Clark"
wrote:

Dale, personally, I use one that is stiff and short. One that the tip eye
comes close to the surface of the water while standing on the casting deck.
Point the boat at the target so you can along the side of the boat and get
some good velocity to the bait. This way the height of the release is
already nice and low. Use the rod and reel that you are the most proficient
with at first.

---cut---
Hi all, thanks for the tips. I went down to the local lake yesterday
just to give two of my spinning rods a tryout. It was windy with a lot
of chop so it was not the best day to try skipping. I tried a 7 1/2
foot fast action rod and a much slower 6 1/2 foot. From what I could
tell off of the chop the fast action rod was much easier to skip but
was a bit awkward. I think I will try to find a nice fast action
spinning rod about 6 foot long with a quick taper. None of my current
spinning rods are well suited for skipping. All my good bass rods are
baitcasters and I can't see skipping bait without backlashing the
reel. I'm thinking I will be better off getting a new rod and learning
to do it right then trying to make do with the long rod or the slow
one.

Thanks again, DC
--
Dale Colemam