Old March 22nd, 2006, 02:38 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly

Default orvis loop connector question

"Randy Weatherly" wrote in message
oups.com...
I just bought an Orvis line that came with a loop connector. Seemed
like a cool idea. I was getting it ready to put it on the reel and the
plastic thing that keeps the line on the spool has written on it:
"Connect this end to Reel". Easy enough, since there was a loop
connector sticking out. I looped it onto the backing a reeled it in.
When I got to the other end of the fly line there was no loop
connector! Now I know the loop connector is for connecting to the
leader, but I'm going to have a hard time doing that when it's under
all that fly line.

What's up? Was my line spooled backwards? Did I read the instructions
wrong.

Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Looped,
Randy

Randy,
sounds like you have the Orvis Premium Hy-Flote Tip WF Fly Line with the
integrated welded loop, and the loop should be on the front end of the line
to connect to leaders.
I'm with rw in learning how to tie the nail knot. Most fly shops usually
cut the loop off if you have them install the line onto your reel, sometimes
they don't even ask the customer. Some of my friends actually prefer the
loop to connect leaders. I have cast the loop connection and see no
disadvantages in presentation, it's actually pretty smooth to my surprise.
One of the advantages to the loop connection is that you can "easily" add
the Orvis loop sinking tips.
As for knots, I tie an Arbor knot from the backing to the reel, and an
Albright knot from the backing to the fly-line.
Basic knots:
http://www.3m.com/us/home_leisure/sc...ts_2-13-02.pdf
-tom