Old March 23rd, 2006, 09:45 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly

Default orvis loop connector question

Lazarus Cooke wrote:
In article , Tom Nakashima
wrote:

I'm with rw in learning how to tie the nail knot.

On this point, so am I. But things like loop-to-loop connections can
rouse strong, at times violent feelings on this newsgroup. RW is
bitterly opposed to them.

That's a little extreme. I just prefer not to use them.

I must admit that I use them (although I
grant that when using light lines - say 3 weight and below - they
probably have a detrimental effect on casting.)

For me, the convenience is worth it, but I rarely have to, or choose to
cast to trout at over, say, 10 yards, and I can cope with it.

One thing that I think quite a lot of us would suggest is to

a) nail knot a length (a foot and a half?) of thick mono to your line

b) attach tapered leaders, maybe one number higher than you wish to
fish, (say 4 weight) to that mono extension.

c) finally tie a foot or two of final tippet (three weight?) to your
tapered leader.

That's what I do. I'll typically start with a nine-foot leader
nail-knotted or leader-linked to the line. After it wears out I cut it
off, leaving about 18 inches of butt end. Then I use 7 1/2 foot 5x
leaders tied to the butt section with a blood knot. When the tippet
needs replacement I cut the leader back to the tapered section, trying
to make the cut at about the 3x spot, and tie on 5x (or whatever *x I
want to use).

If the butt section gets too short I might leave a section of the
replacement leader (and have an extra blood knot) rather tie another
nail knot, unless I'm at home with lots of leisure time and the proper tool.

If I'm nymphing where it's hard to get a good drift I'll cut the leader
way back and tie on a very long tippet (a trick I learned from Willi).
The only problem with this is that it uses up a lot of leaders, or takes
up a lot of time and effort to build up a new properly tapered knotted
leader. It also seems like right after I cut back the leader that fish
start rising. :-)