Old March 23rd, 2006, 09:50 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly

Default orvis loop connector question

On Thu, 23 Mar 2006 20:15:22 +0000, Lazarus Cooke
wrote:

I use them (although I
grant that when using light lines - say 3 weight and below - they
probably have a detrimental effect on casting.)

The braided loops can hinge if they are put on wrong. When they do
hinge, they are very detrimental to casting. However, if done right,
I have noted no difference between braided loops and nail knotted
leaders. I fish loops on 4 - 8 weights, casting dries, nymphs, and
streamers. I find them especially handy for changing from mono to FC
leaders.

I generally do not rebuild my leader. I start out with a 5x and when
it gets down to 4x size, I add 5x tippet. When the 4x becomes bigger,
say 3x in size, I *may* add 4 and 5 x, but usually don't bother. My
vests always have spent leaders in the unused pockets. I would save a
helluva lot of money by rebuilding, but I hate barrel knots. The
fewer I tie the happier I am. I save the spent leaders and give them
to my grandkids; let them rebuild 'em. d'o)

Dave