Old March 8th, 2005, 12:42 AM
Jack Schmitt

"RogerN" wrote in message
ink.net...
I've been trying to fish out of my jon boat and find myself trying to
juggle
boat positioning with the trolling motor while trying to fish. I thought
possible solution would be to use a foot control trolling motor. The
problem is that my jon boat isn't setup for a bow mount trolling motor and
haven't seen anything else available in foot control trolling motors. I'm
looking for the best solution to mounting a foot control motor on my jon
boat. Or would I be better off to buy an old bass boat and not mess with
my jon boat?

My ideas so far are to make a bow mount either out of aluminum or plywood
and mount it to the front of the boat. Or make a transom mount to fit the
trolling motor.

Another idea is to buy an older bass boat, the lake I fish has a 10hp
limit
and I've seen some bass boats for $1k or less with motors that need work.
have a 9.9hp Mercury that I use on the jon boat. Thought perhaps my 9.9hp
motor on an old bass boat with a foot control trolling motor might be a
better solution than modifying my jon boat.

FWIW I agree with Mr. Hancock's post. I built a small deck over the bow
seat using marine plywood, aluminum angle, and stainless steel hardware.
The bow mount can then be mounted directly to the plywood deck. My boat was
a 14 foot Arkansas Traveler and I used it for many years before passing it
on to my son.