Old September 22nd, 2006, 02:41 AM posted to alt.flyfishing
[email protected]

Default Do the Twist--Bimini?

LDR wrote:
Two of my heroes, Lefty Kreh and Mark Sosin, whose book Practical
Fishing KNots, has been my primary reference despite many books since
like it, describes the Bimini Twist has the most important knot to know,
and yet I don't sense that it is widely used among fly fishers.

Of course I can't really see how others tie their lines, because my
eyesight is going south along with my other declining powers.

Kreh and Sosin suggest using it with an Albright knot for even light fly
fishing. They also have an interesting idea for a super simplified all-
purpose leader for everything but dry fly fishing--but that's another
subject. TIA

I'd answer that it's pretty much a sal****er rigging which isn't
necessary in the vast majority of freshwater fly fishing. These are
cool assed knots but the freshwater angler can get away with a
suprisingly small arsenal of knots. Arbor, Nail, Needle, Blood,
Surgeons, Clinch (reel, line to backing, line to butt, butt to leader,
leader to tippet, tippet to fly). It pays to learn to tie them quickly.
If you spend 10 minutes rigging with each lost fly, you'r losing a lot
of fishing.

TBone