Old December 1st, 2004, 01:39 AM
Bob La Londe

Default I pulled an Al

Actually, I tried to get a replacement for it, but the rod is no longer
avialable. I actually hoped they would have a matching upper (part broken)
I definitely did not ask for a free replacement.

--
** FREE Fishing Lures
** Weekly drawing

"go-bassn" wrote in message
With all due respect Bob, if I set a toolbox on a rod & broke it I know

what
I'd do - put it in the garbage can. Why would a generally good guy like

you
think the maker of the rod should bear an inkling of responsibility for

your
screwup?

I'll leave it at that...

Warren

"Bob La Londe" wrote in message
I did not ask a single one of the manufacturers to replace the rods at

no
cost. Just said, let me know what you can do.

--
** FREE Fishing Lures
** Weekly drawing
** Public Fishing and Boating Forums
** www.YumaBassMan.com

"Bob Rickard" wrote in message
. com...
IMHO, products damaged by user accidents or abuse should NEVER be

replaced
for "free", and we are kidding ourselves if we pretend they should be.

No
business trying to stay alive can just eat the costs involved, meaning

they
are obviously passed on to future customers by raising prices on their
products.

Personally, in almost 60 years of fishing, I have been lucky to never

having
broken a rod through any accidents or abuse (probably because I am

careful
by nature), so I therefore resent having to pay for the carelessness

of
others. I believe that it is only right that businesses wake up and

revert
to the honest policy that "You break it, you buy it," and quit

penalizing
the rest of us.

--
Bob Rickard
(AKA Dr. Spinnerbait)

"Bob La Londe" wrote in message
I was going through all my rods and could not believe the number of

rods
broke in the last year. I decided to box them and send them back to

the
various manufacturers.

Some legitimately should be replaced under warranty for things like

bad
guide wrapping or eyelet inserts popping out. Others were broken

due
my
carelessness and a few I just don't know why the broke. With each

one
included an honest description of how they got broken and what was

wrong
with them. I also included a check for $10 for return shipping with

each
package except for Lamiglass which specifies 14.50 on their website.

Here is what I have so far.

Silstar/Pinnacle. One Rod Sent. The fastest return was from them.

sent
them a rod I gave my son for his birthday. I set a tool box down on

it
when
fishing and broke it. Out of warranty, and definitely not the fault

of
the
rod. They sent back a better quality rod than the broken one

because
the
broken one was no longer in production. No problems, no questions.

St Croix one rod was definitely defective with an insert that had

popped
out, and I "found" the tip broken off the other. I think atleast

one
of
them was less than a year old, but I could not find the receipts.

The
arrived the day after the Silstar rod with a note about things I

should
do
to take better care of my rods.

Quantum. Two rods. Both probably broken from carelessness. No

problem.
One was no longer in production so they upgrade to slightly more

expensive
rod. I had no receipts included with these rods. These arrived

back
the
same day as the St Croix rods.

Bass Pro Shops. Returned two identical Bionic Blade IM-8 rods.

Both
were
defective. One had bad eyelet wrap glue and the eyes were coming

off
the
other broke mid section when it was picked up with very little use

or
abuse
(I don't care for these all that much because they are heavy.) I

received
one brand new replacement today, with reason why they only sent one.

Fenwick. Sent two almost new Eagle GT rods along with a receipt for

5
rods.
(I like these for light spinner baits and crank baits.) One was
definitely
defective, and one was stepped on. I haven't yet heard from them.

They
received my package on t he 17th.

Lamiglas. Sent one 3 wt rod with receipt, and a check for 14.50.
definitely under warranty damage was questionable. The tip of the

rod
broke
off in transit to the ABA classic in November. The rod had seen

very
little
use, and I don't think I did anything to damage it. When I took it

out
of
the rod cover the tip was hanging from the line. I haven't heard

from
them
yet. The did cash my check. It hit my account on the 24th. The

package
was delivered to them on the 17th.

Pflueger. Sent two rods with no receipt. Both damaged by abuse.

No
response.

I would say that Silstar and St Croix both went beyond what they

were
obligated to do. I am concerned about Lamiglass and Fenwick. I

haven't
clue what to think about Bass Pro Shops given their normally more

than
generous return policy.

Bob La Londe
www.YumaBassMan.com