Old June 25th, 2011, 07:06 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
Bill Grey[_2_]

Default Knot question....

"george9219" wrote in message
On Jun 21, 1:27 pm, Bob wrote:
On Jun 20, 10:56 am, "Bill Grey" wrote:

--riverman Hi Myron,

I haven't used nail knots for years. Instead I attach a short lenght
(12")
of strong nylon leader to the flyline by means of about 3ins of braided
leader. Strip off say 1" of outer covering off the Line insert the bared
core into one end of the breaided leader and into the other end insert
the
strong nylon. Apply super glue to both ends of the braided leader. Form
loop to the other end of the nylon and attach your fishing leader,loop
loop to the strong nylon.

Bill

Bill,
I used a line/leader connection very similar to that for a number of
years. However, I quit using it and went back to the nail not when two
of those connections failed .
First failure - lost a leader and fly when one of those connections
failed while casting, with no clue as to what had happened. Second
failure - Checked connection & found that the glue connection was no
longer holding & that the "Chinese finger grip" of the braid was
slowly working its way loose - loosen, slip, tighten, repeat.

Bob Weinberger

Not all super glue is waterproof. use Zap a Gap to connect leader to
line, and, in 10 years, have never had a failure.

....and of course the heavy short piece of nylon attached as above does make
the fly turn over beautifully

Bill