Old May 24th, 2004, 10:37 PM
bassrecord

Default Fishing Hooks

Mike I agree with your observations. You are right on! There are too many
of the wrong kind of hooks on the market today.

More that ten years before Bill started in his business, Mustad did NOT own
the popping bug hook market in the U.S. Several French and United Kingdom
firms sold inverted 'U' hump and 'S' hump bronzed hooks. I think they were
available in a range of sizes up to 4/0 and to 4X longs. It is sad that
today only the Mustad 33903 is still widely available and Mustad has dropped
their larger sizes.

Besides being unduly high priced the Mustad and other brands of salt water
stainless steel hooks are far too heavy for freshwater bass fishing as they
require more buoyancy in the popper body to offset their weight. The
proportions are off due to the excess weight. Sadly there are too few
options so we have to use them. All we need it to have HEAVIER popping bugs
hit us in the back of the head. g

Thank goodness they are too brittle also. All we need besides them hitting
the back of our head is for them to stick in our neck!

Good luck!
John

"Mike Connor" wrote in message

"Bill Kiene" wrote in message
. ..
Hi All U ROFFers,

At one time O. Mustad & Son of Norway 'owned' the fly hook market in the
USA. When I started in this business in 1965 we bragged about actually
having Mustad hooks in the big sporting goods store I worked for.

Quite right, the same situation pertained in Europe as well, with the
exception of one or two English hookmakers Mustad was the "only game in
town". I still have a fairly large selection of Mustads, at one time the
3904A was "the" standard wet fly hook. They were good hooks, and they

never
let me down. Metallurgy and manufacturing techniques have improved very
considerably in the meantime, so it is rather surprising that Mustad did

not
manage to maintain their "almost" monopoly.

In my opinion, there are now far too many hooks on the market, and they

are
also far too expensive. But thatīs how it goes! When I first started, 100
boxes were normal, and many people bought 1000 boxes of hooks. Now you

are
lucky if you can find a package with more than ten or at the most 25 hooks
in it. The packaging now costs more than the contents.

Japanese hooks are for the most part very good quality, although as Bill
says, some tend towards being rather brittle. This is more than likely due
to over-tempering. They seem to like "harder" hooks.

TL
MC