Old August 28th, 2008, 10:27 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.bass
Marty

Default Baitcasting reels-the attractive antique that reel companies won't admit to

"RichZ" wrote in message
ANTIQUE AUDIO wrote:

I still don't see the logic in using a baitcast reel for fish smaller
than 10 pound though, because the modern large spinning reels will
definitely handle up that that size fish and line with ease- and cast
easier, and further.

Large spinning reels are heavy, bulky, and ungainly. From a retrieve
perspective, the entire design of a spinning reel is a mechanical
nightmare, that unnecessarily takes the energy around two right angles.

If casting distance was of a major advantage in bass angling, there might
be some merit to using big spinning gear. But since it's not, then there
really is no need to burden yourself with a reel that twists the line,
weighs twice as much or more than a casting reel that will do the job, is
out of balance by design, and requires a rod equipped with gigantic
guides.

Hate to argue with a guy who's forgotten more than I'll ever know, but:

Maybe there's no NEED to burden myself, but there's a DESIRE to do so. Sure,
reels can twist line, but some reels do much better than others in their
anti-twist properties, and twist has been minimally problematic. And it's a
non-factor with braid.

I believe the weight of the reel is not as significant as baitcasters
because of the inverted position, and the size of the guides doesn't affect
me, as far as I know.

I used to use some baitcasting and it was OK, I just didn't like what I
perceived as less versatility as spinning. And they weren't difficult to
use, not the rocket science that some make it out to be (not including Rich
in that group).

The bottom line is I'm just a recreational angler who enjoys spinning and
feel it accomplishes everything I ask of it.