Old August 29th, 2008, 12:19 AM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.bass
RichZ

Default Baitcasting reels-the attractive antique that reel companieswon't admit to

Marty wrote:
I believe the weight of the reel is not as significant as baitcasters
because of the inverted position,

Spinning fans always rely on this argument, but it's based on faulty
logic, imho. There are precious few moments in fishing in which I hold
the rod on a horizontal plane, other than vertical fishing, which
amounts to less than 10% of my time. In fact, it's attitude is much more
often much closer to vertical than horizontal. All that extra weight is
extended out in front of my hand by the long reel foot, totally
destroying the balance. A casting reel on the other hand, is IN my hand,
and when I hold the rod vertically, all the weight of both the rod and
reel (which is lighter than the spinning combo in the first place) is
pretty much centered above my hand. It's not too bad of a deal with the
little bitty reel on my drop shot rod, but any spinning reel capable of
handling 12 pound line or more is just too awkward and heavy when the
rod is much more vertical than 2 o'clock.

The bottom line is I'm just a recreational angler who enjoys spinning

and
feel it accomplishes everything I ask of it.

And I have no problem with that position at all. My problem is with
no-it-alls who come on stating that there's no use in bass fishing for a
bait casting reel.