Old August 19th, 2008, 09:13 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.bass
Mike Getz

Default Baitcasting reels-the attractive antique that reel companies won't admit to

"using a baitcaster reel to catch 3 lb. fish is really overkill, like
swatting a fly with a sledgehammer. Sure it will work, but a
flyswatter is a lot lighter and more efficient and less hassle to
use. "

I'm using a ultralight baitcaster with 5 pound mono to toss a 1/16 oz bullet
weight, 1/0 hook and 4 inch worm, I figure it'll put off surgery for me for
at least 2 years. I've had one already on the left wrist from too much
fishing with the spinning rod.

"ANTIQUE AUDIO" wrote in message
On Aug 11, 11:55 am, "Mike Getz" wrote:
" the reel handle actually spins when casted, there is no release button
on
it- maximum casting range so far is 60 feet- that's about it"

My Dad used one and I always called it the knuckle buster AND he used a
braided type of line.

I was reading a "freshwater fishing" hardcover reference book- it
states right there in black and white- a spinning reel will cast much
further, a lot easier, with no backlash problems- than any baitcaster
will

what we have with spinning vs. baitcasting reels is, 2 different
schools of thought- the baitcaster was a descendant of the 1800's
"Kentucky" reel and invented in USA- the spinning reel was invented in
Europe in early 1900's

the spinning reel will handle lighter lures and lighter lines, for
catching cunning fish that won't bite if they see the line- current
spinning rods/reels are designed for 12 lb. test or heavier- plenty
for any bass fisherman

where the baitcaster comes into play is very LARGE fish 15-20 pounds
or larger, where the strong reel design and winch action will wear
down/horse in a large fish with less strain

using a baitcaster reel to catch 3 lb. fish is really overkill, like
swatting a fly with a sledgehammer. Sure it will work, but a
flyswatter is a lot lighter and more efficient and less hassle to
use. The thicker line required on a baitcaster to prevent backlash,
will limit strikes on wary fish like trout- I've gone from 4 lb. to 6
lb. test on my spinning reel and got less trout strikes- that's just
how sensitive those fish are to line size and natural drift of bait- a
heavy line turns them off

casting distance- no comparison- I can cast 2-3 times further with a
cheap open face spinning reel, over any baitcaster reel made

baitcasters are much like golf clubs, you use the same cast force with
every lure, but heavier lures will go further than light lures will-
just like a golfer uses same stroke every time, with a different club-
try to cast a baitcaster harder, it will just backlash worse- casting
it smoothly and with even pressure, actually makes it cast further-
and I can cast much further with a sidearm cast, then overhead pitching