Old January 12th, 2004, 11:10 PM
Tim G

Default Opinions sought from NYC-area fly fishermen

Hi there,

I'm a new, but well-hooked, fly fisherman. I spent the past year
living on the Spokane River in WA, and was able to fish every single
night. Now that I'm back in NYC, I'm going to miss it. Really miss
it. In fact I've already started thinking about fly fishing in
Central Park come spring. Which I'm pretty sure is going to get me
arrested. So...

I've started to look into buying a little fishing cabin - a bit of
land, small cabin, on a good fly fishing river, not too far from NYC.
My girlfriend happens to be buying a larger home up in the Sullivan
County region, and I went up with her last weekend to have a look
around. Such an amazing place, so many rivers and streams -
including the famous Beaverkill. It got me very excited about my
plan, but at the same time I'm a bit wary. I'm wondering if I'm being
foolish trying to buy in an area that's become so popular. Not from a
financial standpoint, of course, but from a fishing one.

So my question to any NY anglers: Will I get up to my newly purchased
little bit of heaven, only to find myself sandwiched in next to a
thousand other fly fishermen? Or will I learn of all the other little
streams where the fishing might be good, away from the crowds? What
other regions, away from Sullivan County, should I be considering
(within ~ a 2 hour drive of NYC)? I'm not asking anyone to divulge
their secret fishing holes. But any general suggestions as to
alternate regions, particular rivers fairly close to NYC, or any
opinions on whether or not Sullivan County is still a good spot for
the burgeoning fly fisherman, would be be greatly appreciated.

Thanks ahead of time for your thoughts.

- Tim