Old September 13th, 2007, 12:42 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
Ken Fortenberry[_2_]

Default Disaster and partial compensation

Mike wrote:
Ken Fortenberry wrote:
Mike wrote:
Why would you want to catch plastic, artificially coloured trout, from
an artificial enclosure anyway? Quite apart from the extreme
environmental impact occasioned by the breeding and rearing of such
fish.
If you ever get the chance to eat a piece of fresh run seatrout, then
you should probably avoid it, as it will immediately cure you of any
illusions in respect to the taste of force fed rainbows forever. Then
there would be no point in catching them either.

I'd rather fish for wild fish as opposed to stockers but fishing
for stockers is better than no fishing at all. And to say that
there's no point in catching fish which don't taste like wild
fish is just silly. There are many reasons to catch a fish that
have nothing whatsoever to do with how the fish tastes compared
to wild fish.

Ah well, as this is a serious and important subject, I will do my best
to enlighten you on the matter.
hatchery bashing rant snipped

Fisheries management has evolved over the years and fisheries
managers have learned not to endanger natives with stockers,
Montana no longer stocks it's streams, but there's nothing
wrong with putting stockers into degraded habitat where natural
reproduction cannot occur. There is value in getting people
invested in the outdoors even if it's just to catch a stocker.

Most of your rant appears to be about aquaculture which is
something quite different than raising and releasing juvenile
fish from a fish hatchery.

--
Ken Fortenberry