Old June 30th, 2004, 05:38 PM
VibraJet

Default Two-Handed Casting?

I can't figure this out.

Rod is a Shakespeare Wonderod Purist 9 1/2' 11wt. Rod would actually be
8'-9", but for the extra 9" handle section on the but. Using, or trying to
use, Cortland 333 WF11I line.

I'd like to use this for a surf rod, and on the back bays for blues,
stripers, etc. But can't get the hang of two-handed overhand casting.

Maybe I need a heavier line to load the rod better? The best results I've
had were while casting very aggresively - moving the rod very fast to get
the line moving.

Also, not sure of actual techniques involved. Usual one handed casting, I
cast with the right while guiding the line with the left hand. With this, I
assume the line must be guided with the right forefinger?

I've already realized the importance of a stripping basket while practicing
with the rod in the river, and have a tupperware that will be perfect.

I can't cast this rod for crap - lucky to get 40 feet. Can't find a
tutorial on-line, although I see there's a video available that looks
useful. Any books or tips that might be useful? Maybe I'm fighting a
crummy rod? Maybe my timing is wrong? Need a heavier line?

Timothy Juvenal